ADHD affects a huge chunk of the global population. You can lose focus, have brain fog, and have several other problems. Here is everything you need to know about ADHD, CBD oil, the effects of CBD for ADHD.
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, also known as ADHD is a type of neurodevelopmental disorder that mainly occurs in children. It is a disorder that can later become worse in adulthood if it isn’t treated or dealt with in time.
The main gist of ADHD is that the brain and other neurological functions aren’t fully developed, which can lead to loss of focus in children, lack of concentration, and inability to control impulsive behaviors, like kicking of the feet, jerking of the limbs, and more.
Your brain controls some of the impulsive movements of your body and people with ADHD usually don’t have a good track of development, which can lead to these things.
Symptoms Of ADHD
If you want to make sure that your child isn’t suffering from something like ADHD, it’s better to consult with a doctor once you start seeing symptoms. Some of the common symptoms of ADHD are as follows:
- Children with ADHD tend to daydream a lot. They get lost in their world and it usually leads to a haze, which can be quite hard to break through.
- People with ADHD tend to have a hard time controlling their impulsive behaviors and they can do weird things like bouncing their limbs, biting their fingernails and even picking their skin or hair.
- Children with ADHD can be quite talkative and expressive.
- People suffering from ADHD can also have social anxiety, and this stems from the fact that they are hard to get along with, which is why they can be left alone in social gatherings because they are not confident enough to mingle. In other words, patients with ADHD are generally introverts.
- Forgetfulness is another symptom of people suffering from ADHD. They tend to have a short attention span and they can lose focus during long and mundane conversations.
Causes Of ADHD
Now that you know the symptoms of ADHD, there might be a lingering thought in your mind, and that would be: How is it caused? What’s the root of the problem? Well, there might be many causes, some of which are:
- It can be a hereditary disorder, by nature. Many people have a history of ADHD and that’s something completely out of your control.
- If a person hasn’t developed ADHD in childhood, then it may be due to an injury inflicted on the brain. It could be an accident or a blow to the head.
- Babies who are born prematurely can develop ADHD and this might be due to incomplete development of the brain of the child, which may lead to neurodevelopmental issues. Another thing that can be alarming is low baby weight, at the time of birth, which is usually a huge signal that there might be neurodevelopmental issues down the road.
- People may also have trouble falling asleep and maintaining a decent sleep schedule for the most part.
- If the parent has abused alcohol during pregnancy, then it can lead to fetal alcohol syndrome in the child and he/she can develop hyperactivity disorders in the future, with ADHD being one of them.
CBD & ADHD – How Can It Help?
CBD was discovered a few years back and since then, it has undergone a number of research and studies in order to find out what benefits and treatments lie in this substance. CBD is derived from the cannabis sativa plant and it doesn’t contain THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) like marijuana and other drugs do. The THC is responsible for putting a person in a hazy fog and it gives the feeling of “high” and intoxication. CBD is known to be a stress reliever, because it loosens the tension in the muscles, relieves anxiety, and leaves the consumer feeling energized and refreshed.
While CBD isn’t a miracle drug and it can’t completely cure ADHD, it has been found that CBD oil and edibles can be beneficial for some symptoms of ADHD, like:
CBD goes into the body and stimulates the endocannabinoid system and relieves stress. It gets rid of the tension in the body and it can calm the nerves down and allows the brain to relax. Whenever you feel like you are getting restless or anxious, then you can administer some CBD oil for relieving the muscles. It can also help with sleep because it relaxes the brain and muscles and lets you have a good night’s sleep.
The dosage of CBD is different for different people. It’s best to consult with a doctor first and get the right amount prescribed for your patient. For starters, starting off with a smaller dose is good, because you don’t want too much CBD in the bloodstream otherwise it may cause dehydration and diarrhea. The optimum dose of CBD, especially for beginners, is 150 to 300 mg. This can either be in the form of CBD oil or you can get chewable tablets, vapes, and even supplements, depending on what form you prefer. If this dose doesn’t work, you can amp it up to 600 mg.
Benefits & Side Effects Of CBD
CBD seems to be a seemingly perfect drug for treating ADHD, but there are several drawbacks to it as well.
- It can lead to nausea if it doesn’t sit well in the stomach.
- It can cause diarrhea and dehydration, which can be a problem if it’s not treated timely. This can happen if you’re taking too much CBD.
- It is not advised to give CBD to young children, otherwise, it can lead to a possibility of seizures.
- CBD can lead to fatigue and lethargy.
As far as benefits are concerned, CBD does help. Here are some amazing benefits of CBD, especially for people with ADHD:
- CBD can reduce hyperactivity. It calms you down and reduces jerking of the body and jitters. This has to do with the stimulation of the endocannabinoid system, which produces more nerve-relaxing agents. There are studies that have been done on this specific symptom, but nothing is for sure, because the research is still in the preliminary stages and it’s too soon to say anything.
- CBD helps with the sleeping issues associated with ADHD as well. When your body is relaxed, it will produce more melatonin, the hormone which is responsible for putting you to sleep and it can be stimulated by CBD. Symptoms of sleep issues like insomnia and sleep apnea have been showing positive effects, thanks to CBD.
- CBD can also help with alleviating pain because CBD acts on glycine receptors and it naturally gets rid of the pain in the body as well as excessive tension in the muscles, which is a huge problem in people with ADHD.
There you have it! CBD is a fairly new substance that is introduced in the pharmaceutical industry and it has amazing hidden benefits, which need to be studied further in order to come up with revolutionary breakthroughs. After discussing it with a doctor, you can get CBD oil or gummies from a CBD shop. bestcbd